ERP client login

Preventing Smoke Damage

House fires are a traumatic event for anyone. Even if a fire does not completely destroy a home, it can do an extensive amount of damage. Not only does the fire destroy a portion of the home, but much of the home is going to suffer from soot, odor, and smoke damage.

10 Ways to Protect Your Home From Fire And Smoke Damage

In the Minocqua area, companies like K-Tech Kleening work very hard to cleanup and repair fire and smoke damage done to homes and to educate clients on what they can do to prevent a fire from happening.

  • Electrical Wiring – Check all electrical cords for frays or exposed wiring. Faulty electrical wiring is the number one cause of house fires and can be prevented by not doing a few things. Don’t cover electrical cords under carpet or rugs and don’t overload your home’s circuits. Your home is only built to handle so much electricity. If you don’t know how much is too much, as a professional.
  • Kitchen Cooking – Carelessness in the kitchen is a big contributor to house fires. Being prepared for a grease fire can greatly reduce the risk of a kitchen fire. Not leaving cooking food unattended and cluttering a cooking area can help prevent house fires too.
  • Smoke Alarms – Simple enough. Make sure smoke alarms are installed in every room. Test them. Replace the batteries. Do both things routinely.
  • Dryers and Dryer Vents – Another common source of house fires. Clean dryer vents and lint filters. Clean around and under the dryer consistently. Make sure the installation was done correctly. Hire a professional to consult with if you are worried about any part of the installation process.
  • Space Heaters – Don’t use old space heaters if possible. Old space heaters have inadequate safety features and can easily generate fires. Also, placing a space heater next to items like furniture, blankets, clothing, etc. can greatly increase the risk of a fire in your home. Make sure your space is safe when being heated by an alternative heating source.
  • Fireplaces – Fireplaces are common sources of heat for a lot of families. They save on electrical bills and offer heat to many homes that do not have the option of central heating. However, fireplaces can pose certain fire risks if not handled correctly. Use appropriate firewood only. Paper and cardboard can spark outside of the fireplace and quickly start a fire in the home. Have the chimney routinely cleaned and inspected. Dirty and clogged chimneys can cause a lot of damage.
  • Candles – Do not burn candles in an unattended room. Scented candles can cause fires if left too close to other materials. Make sure any candles are out of reach of children and put out before you leave the house or go to bed.
  • Cigarette Smoking – If you do happen to smoke indoors, never ever go to sleep with a cigarette still burning. This can cause fires inside and outside the home and is extremely dangerous. Make sure any cigarettes are properly extinguished before leaving them.
  • Outdoor BBQ’s and Fire Pits – Summertime brings with it a lot of get-togethers and those often include BBQ’s and fire pits outside the house. However, just because these are outside the home does not mean they are not a danger to the home. All BBQ’s and fire pits should be maintained by a responsible adult always. Make sure BBQ’s are out and turned off and make sure fire pits are not left smoldering at the end of the night.

Some fires simply cannot be prevented. They just happen. In the event that a house fire does occur, know that the professional team at K-Tech Kleeningis ready to help clean and restore fire and smoke damage in your home.

Contact Us

Please contact us by filling out the form below or give us a call at 800-215-8324.