ERP client login

4 Carpet Cleaning Myths Busted

Happy family of four laying on carpet at home

The internet is riddled with false information about carpet maintenance. What is okay for carpets? What is not? What can I put on my carpet?

Debunking the Myths About Carpet Cleaning

When you’re not in the carpet industry, it can be tough to sort out the true from the false. In order to bust some long-held ideas, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most common carpet myths and provided further details to aid in
your carpet maintenance.

#1. Vacuuming damages carpet.

This is definitely not true! While there are some professional-grade carpet cleaners on the market not designed for residential use, the majority of household vacuums are gentle on the carpet. Modern carpet is constructed in a way that resists the tug-of-war game with a vacuum so it can be cleaned regularly. If your vacuum were laid to rest for a month or so, your carpets would take the effect. Miniscule dirt and pollen particles settle into carpet fibers, causing them to wear down like sandpaper. To avoid the gradual disintegration of carpet from dirt, take care to vacuum at least weekly in low-traffic areas and several times per week in high-traffic areas.

#2. Carpet causes allergies.

The carpet itself is not an allergy. However, tightly-woven carpet fibers often trap allergens like dust, pollen, and animal dander. Since these particles aren’t easily released back into the air, they are more heavily concentrated in carpet fibers. After a period of time, carpets accumulate dust, animal fur, dust mites, leftover crumbs, and other runaway particles. A simple response to heightened allergies is to vacuum regularly. Vacuuming removes up to 80% of dirt in carpet and is the most accessible and efficient way for homeowners to clean carpets. For the other 20%, a professional carpet cleaning is recommended at least yearly to restore carpet fibers. K-tech’s hot water extraction method seeps into hard-to-reach areas and removes unwanted dirt and allergens.

#3. Baking soda removes odor from carpets.

This one is all over the place. Some of you may be scratching your head thinking, “This worked for me!” Unfortunately, baking soda only masks odor temporarily. The real problem is left untouched. In the cleanup process, much of the baking soda remains at the base of the carpet. At this point, it acts the same as dirt would. When walked on, it grinds deep into carpet fibers, creating friction that wears down the fibers much quicker. Other powder deodorizers work the same way: a temporary fix, but counterintuitive in the long run.

#4. I don’t need professionally cleaned carpets.

The homeowners who say this are the homeowners who haven’t had a professional cleaning. They don’t know what they’re missing. Industry professionals recommend hiring a professional deep cleaning service at least once a year. Think of it as an investment in your flooring. A little extra spent now will extend the life of your carpets and keep them looking clean and new. K-tech Kleening is Wausau uses the hot water extraction method to pull out deeply-rooted allergens and particles. This method has a quick drying time with options for a protective coating and odor neutralizing products. Give us a call today for more information.

Contact Us

Please contact us by filling out the form below or give us a call at 800-215-8324.