ERP client login

Holiday Season in Wausau Wisconsin – Avoid Kitchen Grease Fires

Fire in pan on kitchen stove

If there is one event to avoid at all costs, it is a kitchen grease fire as you prepare delicious meals during the holiday season. It happens quickly and unexpectedly. You are working feverishly around the kitchen and you have something cooking on the stovetop. The temperature reaches a critical limit, a flame pops up, and soon gets out of control. Another issue is when cooking grease or oil inadvertently escapes the pan and hits an open flame, and that flame follows the grease or oil trail back to the pan.

Panic can strike and you may overreact to the event, and even cause more harm than good as you attempt to put the fire out. Preventing grease fires is fairly easy as long as you remain in the kitchen while cooking and stay alert to the level of flame on the stovetop and the temperature you are using to prepare your meals. Stir carefully and avoid spills at all costs. Monitor any excessive smoke coming from the pan as that is often an indicator of something to come.

However, when a grease fire does occur, keep calm and implement these practical tips.

Control the Heat

When you detect smoke, turn off the heat source (whether gas or electric) and very carefully remove the pan from the burner if it is electric, if possible. But if you see a flame, do not move the pan. You will most likely splash grease or oil and fuel the fire even more. Never use water to put out a grease fire. This will splash and cause the fire to spread.

Starve the Flame

If a flame is visible, very carefully put a lid on the open flame. This is the best, safest way to extinguish the flame as it will be starved of oxygen and go out.

Extinguish the Flame

If a fire does start, and you can’t cover it with a lid to starve it of oxygen, you can pour baking soda on the flame until it is extinguished. If the flame grows, use an appropriate fire extinguisher for kitchen grease fires. Check with local fire authorities if you aren’t sure which type to purchase.

Call the Pros!

If the unthinkable happens, and a grease fire does get out of control and cause damage, you will need special restoration work performed in your home. Do the right thing and reach out to a reputable restoration company. Contact K-tech Kleening & Restoration at 715-355-1369!

Contact Us

Please contact us by filling out the form below or give us a call at 800-215-8324.